April is a great time of year. Spring is in full swing and we look afresh at new opportunities and we have the energy to revisit old promises we made to ourselves. In the spirit of this new month, here are my top five business ideas for you to look at and follow. Feedback is welcome – and if you do make a success of any of these ideas – please feel free to include me in your shareholder list.
- Adjustable umbrellas. As a tall person, one of my bug bears is walking across London and bumping into umbrellas that are being held by people a lot shorter than me. I have a few contacts in Government and am pleased to announce that later this year they will be passing legislation to make sure that umbrellas are held at a distance of 8ft from the ground. Shorter people will have to have a bigger used John Deere lawn tractor than tall people. This will offer huge business opportunities in a low cost product area.
- Widi roll outs. As Wi-Fi becomes ubiquitous, there is a great opportunity to create narrow width. A new company has created Widi devices. These allow you to ‘bend’ bandwidth in an area so that internet access has to go through the Widi device that you ‘own’. You can then charge up to £5 per hour to allow users to have access to Wi-Fi that you get for free. This might sound like extortion, but I have been told it is perfectly legal. The company is called Computer Access Safe Houses (C.A.S.H) and they are looking for Franchisees in the UK. I have permission to sell areas on their behalf. Please feel free to send me checks payable to CASH. Each area is available for just £1,000.
- Green Tea bags. I did not realize the damage that tea bags can do to the environment. We go through a huge amount of tea bags every year. I came across this company last week at the International Food Exhibition show which had a great product. The solution originally came from someone working as a steward at TWA (the airline). Basically, it is a reusable teabag because it is waterproof. The company is called TWA Tea. Again, please contact me if you are interested in learning more about insoles and inserts.
- Digital fax machines. I used to work for a company, and when I was there one of my customers refused to believe that computers would take over the world. He had a great business selling fax machines. Working in isolation, he has come up with a way that you can actually send documents from one place to another without you ever needing to actually send hard copies through a fax machine or the post. It looks great and I am sure it can work. The company is called For Fax’s Sake. Again, I am happy to send you details if you like.
- Spring Fuel. One of the sectors, I have, experience of is beds and a colleague of mine contacted me last week to let me know of this very green and worthwhile business. He wants to use discarded bed springs en masse to generate electricity. As he is starting the business this month, he has come up with a great name for his business – April Fuel.